Do I need a permit?
Under certain circumstances, holding an event in the park will require a permit from the Chicago Park District.
Officially, the list can be found here: https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/permits-rentals/do-i-need-permit (Look under the “outdoor activities & events” header) but is reproduced, unofficially as a courtesy, here:
- 50 or more people
- Advertising or sponsorship activities
- Amplified sound (e.g. loudspeakers, amplifiers, powered megaphones)
- Animals (e.g. petting zoo, pony rides, horses)
- Ceremonies (e.g. baptisms, dedications, weddings, & other services)
- Exercise classes or boot camps
- Flying Machine (e.g. drones)
- Guaranteed Use of Space
- Selling and/or distributing merchandise, services or food (e.g. vendors)
- Tents/canopies (e.g. 10×10 popup)
- Walk/Run/Bike or Parade Route
Please consider that there are other activities or proposed event features that may require you to secure a Chicago Park District Special Event Permit. Contact the Chicago Park District Department of Park Services at (312) 742-5369 to discuss availability and options.