Do I need a permit?

Under certain circumstances, holding an event in the park will require a permit from the Chicago Park District.

Officially, the list can be found here: (Look under the “outdoor activities & events” header) but is reproduced, unofficially as a courtesy, here:

  • 50 or more people
  • Advertising or sponsorship activities 
  • Alcohol  
  • Amplified sound (e.g. loudspeakers, amplifiers, powered megaphones) 
  • Animals (e.g. petting zoo, pony rides, horses) 
  • Ceremonies (e.g. baptisms, dedications, weddings, & other services) 
  • Exercise classes or boot camps
  • Flying Machine (e.g. drones)  
  • Generators 
  • Guaranteed Use of Space
  • Inflatables 
  • Selling and/or distributing merchandise, services or food (e.g. vendors) 
  • Stages 
  • Tents/canopies (e.g. 10×10 popup)  
  • Walk/Run/Bike or Parade Route 

Please consider that there are other activities or proposed event features that may require you to secure a Chicago Park District Special Event Permit. Contact the Chicago Park District Department of Park Services at (312) 742-5369 to discuss availability and options.